Worldwide, over a million women are diagnosed with cancers of their reproductive organs (gynaecological cancers) each year. The female reproductive organs are the cervix, uterus, ovaries and vaginal area. Gynaecological Oncology is the specialized field involving prevention and treatment of cancers and pre-cancers that can affect a woman’s reproductive organs.
In Malaysia, cancer of the cervix, uterus and ovary are among the ten most common cancers affecting women. Studies show that Chinese women have the highest risk of getting these cancers. Many cancers may be prevented or detected early by screening and regular gynaecological assessment. Appropriate treatment by a trained specialist can successfully cure many patients with gynaecological cancers. Inappropriate treatment like overtreatment or inadequate treatment itself can have damaging effects and affect the outcome or results.
Symptoms That Require Assessment
- Bleeding after sexual intercourse
- Heavy bleeding during the periods
- Irregular bleeding (not according to the expected period)
- Bleeding in-between the periods
- Pelvic pain in the lower abdomen or pelvic area
- Blood stained vaginal discharge
- Foul smelling vaginal discharge
- Abdominal distension, bloating or swelling
- Lump or swelling in the abdomen
- Pain or persistent itchiness in the area around or outside the vaginal area